" /> Pacific Westestern Athletic Association

PACWEST Men's Soccer Recap

Photo courtesy of the Langara Falcons
Photo courtesy of the Langara Falcons

What a weeked of PACWEST soccer, check the recap:


Capilano Blues 1
Douglas Royals 0

In a very physical and tough game that featured seven yellow cards and one red the Blues hung on for the shutout win.

The only scoring came from the PACWEST leading scorer Keith Jackson who notched his eighth of the season in the 68th minute which proved to be the game winner.

Blues’ keeper Hudson Nelles stopped all seven shots for his third consecutive shutout. He also had to deal with five Royals corner kicks and a flurry of pressure in the first half.

Not only did the Royals have their chances, but the Blues did as well and if it wasn’t for the play of keeper Sraw Iqbal the score could have been much different. He stopped six of the seven shots directed his way.

VIU Mariners 2
Quest Kermodes 0

The Mariners didn’t give the Kermodes much time to react and had constant pressure on keeper Sam MacDonald.

In the first half MacDonald had to deal with 12 shots directed his way just to keep the game scoreless. However in the 48th minute the Mariners finally solved him as Shun Takano scored his third of the season, a goal that would turn out to be the game winner. Aly Adib added his first of the season in the 64th minute for some insurance.

The Kermodes offence was frustrated all game getting four shots towards the Mariners net, however David Turkstra watched them sail wide. He records his third shutout of the season.


VIU Mariners 2
Capilano Blues 0

A well balanced game by the Mariners earns them their second consecutive shutout after a pair of first half goals.

Jamie Taylor was the first to hit the scoresheet getting his third of the season in the 30th minute, a goal that would turnout to be the game winner. Just before the half ended Jordan DeGraaf tallied his sixth of the year in the 45th minute giving the Mariners some insurance.

Keeper David Turkstra and the defence locked down the Blues highflying offence holding them to just five shots. Three of those shots were on target that Turkstra turned away easily.

The Mariners win widens the gap in the standings as they collect their 19th point and are now seven points up on the second place Blues. That said the Blues still have two games in hand.

Langara Falcons 4
Quest Kermodes 3

The Falcons offence exploded on Sunday with four goals and their first victory of the season. Prior to Sunday the offence had scored just once in their first five games.

The Kermodes opened the scoring in the 13th minute when Nick Glavas found the back of the net for his second of the season. It would be the only lead the visiting Kermodes would have.

In the 37th minute Stefan Jerkovic scored the equalizer for the Falcons, his first of the season. Then in the 44th minute Kyle Kemp got on the scoresheet and gave the Falcons their first lead of the season, something they held going into halftime.

Out of the break Jerkovic scored his second of the contest to give the Falcons a two goal lead in the 56th minute. That lead was then cut in the 66th minute when Yassin Nayel scored for the Kermodes.

The back and forth game continued when the Falcons restored their two goal advantage in the 75th minute when Alexander Escobar tallied his second of the year for the home side.

The Kermodes again cut the lead to one in the 84th minute when Will Hoy blasted a ball past the Falcons keeper.

Defensively the Falcons held off the Kermodes pressure to secure their first win.